Sunday, August 29, 2010

I Used to Write Poetry

In high school I often expressed myself through poetry...I recall several poems about boys I liked (they're pretty cheesy), poems about people I had lost in my life, and some about my relationship with God. Honestly though since high school poetry writing has been very sporadic and often not at all.

I did come across a poem the other day though that I had written in 2007. I was perusing an old journal when I came across it. The main thing I noticed in this journal, is that the things I struggled with then seem to be the same things I still struggle with today. The same things I poured out to God day after day in that journal...still weigh me down. But I also noticed that back then, even like today my comfort comes from Him. My strength is gained by remembering He is greater than all my worries. He is the common thread through every post and daily as I turn my eyes to Him...my vision is clearer. It's a daily (sometimes hourly) choice however to focus on him, because this world so very quickly draws me in, pulls me down, steals my joy. The Lord is my joy and my Salvation.

I'm off to worship Him this morning...but first I thought you might enjoy my quick (rough draft) poem from 2007:

My body is tired
My mind is racing
So much stress
I'm facing

And what Lord,
Can carry me like you?
I'll trust, I'll pray
That's what I'll do

Show me your ways
Cast out my doubt
Show me what following you
Is all about

My body, my job
My family, my life
All cause me stress
All create strife

I'd love some peace
Assurance of where I'm going
But I'll follow your way
Even without knowing

My God, my King
Your Victory is mine
I give the sadness to you
All of me is thine