Friday, March 13, 2009

Because I Registered

Several weeks ago I registered for the St. Patrick's Day 5K race scheduled for tomorrow morning. I figured if I registered for it (paid the money) then I couldn't back out...cause I'm Dutch and we don't pay for things we aren't going to use or follow through with. I've done my best to 'train' for this 5K but I don't think I have yet run 3 miles without stopping.

Something I didn't factor into the mix well was my recent, amazing trip to Tanzania. Tanzania is at sea level and other than walking and the few times I chose the stairs over the elevator...I was not 'training' while I was there. Coming back was a bit of a shockon the lungs and body.

I did have a great running session with my roommate yesterday. She's very encouraging and doesn't mind that my pace is unbelievably slow (let's hope my friend Karyn running with me tomorrow doesn't mind either). We started with a 3 minute run, then a 4 minute run, then a 5, then a 6, then 8, then 11 with 1 minute to 1.5 minute walk in between. I felt very good at the end and a small part of me wonders if I might be able to run the entire 5K tomorrow? I don't want to bank on it because I don't want to get frustrated and disappointed if/when I have to walk. So if it happens it will just be a cherry on top of an already very yummy sundae. That little metaphor is in honor of the fact that I'm already planning my first food intake after the race is going to be ice cream!

So, if you think about it tomorrow morning...say a little prayer. Truthfully I am amazed that I can even run 11 minutes straight. I have come a long way and if I'm unable to run my entire first 5K...no problem, gives me something to work for on the next one and the future ones, cause the first one will not be the last.

3 comments:

*carrie* said...

You go, girl! And enjoy that sundae after. =)

Becky said...

Woohoo! I'm glad we'll share our first 5K experience!

Karyn said...

Don't worry, I won't mind! It is going to be so fun! Plus! We get ice cream when its over!