Sunday, March 15, 2009

Because I Did It (with encouragement of course)

That's right people...I ran a 5K. I ran the whole thing! Around mile 2 I was thinking it would be nice to walk...when my running buddy started telling me "look how far we have come, you are totally going to make it. You're not going to have to walk...you're doing awesome!" and I didn't really feel like I could answer with "can we walk now?"

My running buddies Karyn and Becky.
First 5K for all of us.

I met the challenge head on and the Lord gave me strength and perseverance...and a running buddy who didn't care how slow we went. I'm so excited that I finished the 5K but even more so that I didn't have to walk. Six months ago...I wouldn't have been able to do this. I'm amazed at how far I have come.



I did feel like I was running incredibly slow (I think it turned out to be 12.9 minutes/mile). Probably most annoying were the speed walkers...who were in front of me. Another small annoyance were the "run/walkers." I would pass them when they were walking and then they'd run by me for like a block and then they'd walk again...and I'd pass them again. Take that times 20 and that was a big part of the race for me.

So, now I'm looking forward to improving my time and looking for the next raise. Thank you for your prayers and encouragement and running companionship. I could have never done this on my own.


Finished! Thanks Karyn!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

That is SO awesome! Emily and I are proud of you! Before we moved to Alaska, Emily and I ran the Bolder Boulder, we did around 13 minute miles, so you did good time for your first race =)

Kurtis & Lisa said...

You have no idea who I am, but I was inspired to read that you had just completed your first 5K. I am currently training to run my first one in May, and am at the point in training that I really don't think the goal is practical. You gave me inspiration to push on, that I can do this through the strength of the Lord. Thanks so much!!!

Becky said...

YAY Carmen! Good for you! I'm so glad I got to share in the first 5K experience!

Karyn said...

You're welcome! It was very fun and awesome to share the experience with you!