Sunday, April 19, 2009

Because I Am Rich

It was Compassion Sunday today at our church. Since I started attending my church 2 years ago I have been praying for this day. It exceeded my expectations in so many ways. I was mostly praying for a 'normal' Compassion Sunday (table in the lobby, announcement in the bulletin) low key type stuff. My church is not really low key in anything we do though... So when the pastors of my church took a trip to Peru in February and decided to dedicate an entire service to sharing their excitement about partnering with Compassion, I was overjoyed. Not only did they share about their trip to Peru and how their hearts are sold on what God is doing there, they dedicated the entire service to informing the congregation about poverty and one of the most tangible ways that they can help...sponsoring a child through Compassion.

The service started with the Rob Bell video "Rich" and it was a powerful reminder that I am rich. I own a car, I have a roof over my head (larger than 6x8 ft), I can drink my tap water, I get to eat everyday and I don't have to worry about a preventable disease taking my life. I am rich. His video was also a good reminder of something else: far too often my perspective shifts from seeing and helping people around me...to me, my stuff and wanting more stuff. I want the others focused perspective to permeate my heart and mind. That is my prayer tonight...when I forget and get wrapped up in me, please Lord pull me back to loving and giving to those around me.

Our church requested 75 packets from one specific area in Peru for our Compassion Sunday. At the end of the day there were only 18 packets left over. Another of my expectations was far, far exceeded. Our church on average has around 300 people in attendance and my heart was overflowing with praise that God touched that many people in our church to sponsor.

I chose a little girl from the Peru packets to sponsor. I'll introduce you to her in a later post. Because our church plans to do some short term missions trips to the area our sponsored children are from I'm already praying for the incredible opportunity it would be to meet her.

No comments: