Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Because I Need the Reminder

Working for Compassion is a blessing beyond what I can describe but it's still a job and there are still days when the normal work annoyances cloud my vision and turn me into a grump. Thankfully there are things to remind me that the normal work annoyances are so very small, especially compared to the reality that children all over the world might not even be able to eat today.

So, let me share with you the reminders I have to "suck it up and do my work" as though I am working for the Lord (and especially when I'm feeling annoyed).
  1. Our recruitment department has a flyer with the words "Over 1 million impoverished children depend on YOU to come to work everyday." I copied that phrase from the flyer onto my white board (I should probably put it on my bathroom mirror too...but then my roommate would have to read it everyday and it's not necessarily true for her).

  2. Chapel. Today a Compassion leader talked about servant leadership.

  3. And here's the biggy for today...blog posts by our Compassion India Bloggers. This is the 3rd trip that Compassion has done where they take some great bloggers on a trip and ask them to do what they do best which is tell stories and invite people into their experiences. I LOVE reading blogs and I've read all the posts from the India Bloggers so far. They have communicated authentic messages to me of despair turned to hope...reminding me that my own despair will pass and hopefully turn into hope as well.

I need these reminders because there are some days that I feel far removed from the children and days when I feel like I'm caught in a funnel cloud and days when my annoyance is stronger than it should be. The children are what keep me doing what I'm doing on those days. The children are the hope I have for what God can do. The children are my reminder.

No comments: