Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Because It's In Your Face

I'm not a student but I still took a Spring Break this year. Myself, Christy, Melissa and Melissa's Mom all headed to Washington, D.C. for a week. I had never been and I must say that I was quite impressed. I kept feeling more and more patriotic as the week went on...it's really hard not to. It's in your face (at least when you hang out at all the touristy, historical locations). It's not that I'm not patriotic now but I realize there's a lot I don't know about the founding of this nation and the men and women who have led it over the years. It made me want to read books about our presidents and history books about all the wars we have been involved in (since each one has a memorial).

I thought D.C. was beautiful. I only felt unsafe one time (I expected more since I had heard that the crime rate is really high). I look forward to visiting again someday. Oh, and I thought the time of year we were there was wonderful...temps were great for me (I dislike getting too hot), it rained a few days but nothing too major and the Cherry Blossom Festival started while we were there.
Here's a few photos of the week.

Arlington National Cemetary



WWII Memorial with the Washington Monument
in the background.




Cherry Blossoms with Jefferson Memorial
in the background.


3 comments:

Amanda said...

Great pictures, Carmen! You've got a real eye. DC is a great city, especially in the spring time. I don't know if I could live there though -- too big, and too swampy in the summer!

andrea said...

awesome pictures! I've never been to D.C. This makes me want to go even more!

Becky said...

yeah! That second picture is GREAT!