Thursday, July 2, 2009

That Is The Question

To buy or not to buy...

I know I just got done posting about the exciting adult step I am taking in buying a house. I'd like to take a moment to now post about the internal, emotional struggle weighing me down.

I worked hard to get myself out of debt...paid off my car, paid off my college education (I went to a private Christain school, not cheap) and paid off my credit card debt. After the years of conquering the debt were done, I was supposed to start saving-for a house or that next car, or to keep up with my love of travel. Well, I didn't do that very well (instead I traveled, got a personal trainer and shopped when I wanted to). So, although I have a down payment for a house, it is a small down payment and it wouldn't leave the Dave Ramsey recommended 3 month nest egg in my savings. Just writing that makes me think I know my own answer...but it's not that cut and dry really.


I want to own my own house, I want to paint and decorate and organize, I want to drive into my garage and walk right into my house and I want to be able to host friends and family.

Now is a good time, but is it a good time for me? I'm all over the map. I can convince myself either way. Friends and family have no idea that their input and comments run over and over in my head. I'm praying the Lord shows me what the right decision is...and until the decision is made I will probably continue to be all over the map.

Go ahead weigh in...

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Buying a house is always a huge leap of faith. Both times we have bought out homes I totally questioned whether it was a good idea or not. Sometimes I still do (especially when we have water in the basement or the air conditioning doesn't work). Talk to those you trust and if you feel like you really need a safety net work really hard to a few months and save like crazy and then you can still get in on all the good deal for buying a house in 2009. Good luck and I know that you will make the best decision with God help! Can't wait to see where He leads you!

andrea said...

we are buying our first house this year. it is very very very freaky. we still have mucho college debt, but we really felt like God worked this out for us. It's a major step and takes a lot of trust.

For you, that 8000 bucks might help replace a little nest egg that you spend on a down payment.

And then you will be putting your money into something that you'll get your money back OUT of, right? We found that our mortgage payment would be about as much as renting an apartment, but at least we'll get our money BACK if we sell it some day. But maybe that's only the same amount for people who would need a bigger apartment. not sure...

I'm excited to hear what you decide. keep us updated.

Amanda said...

The committment of buying a house still makes me shiver (and I'm getting married, so I know I don't have committment problems :)). Don't buy before you are absolutely ready to take on all that is home ownership. There are definitely huge incentives right now to buy, but don't let that rush you into anything. I feel like I am at the age and stage of life where I should buy, too, but I know that I'm just not ready to take it on quite yet.

That said, buying a house is a great investment and getting $8,000 back isn't too shabby either. My guess is, the way the economy and housing market is, good deals and more tax incentives will still be around next year. But I'm no economist...you could always look around and see if there's anything you really really like and wouldn't mind investing in. If so, great! If not, nothing lost.

Becky said...

I had the same struggle with commitment, Carmen. That's why I went with a townhouse instead of a house.

I'm very glad I did. It's a good investment.

I'm excited to hear what you decide!