Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Married Friends and Almost

I have a lot of married friends and a significant number of friends almost married. Although I am not yet in either of those categories I like to listen to sermons and read articles and books about having a good solid marriage. Truth is, some of my friends have struggled in their marriages and even gone through divorces. I guess that is one of the things that scares me about marriage is how hard it can be...

I was listening to a sermon series by Andy Stanley last night on "Staying in Love". He talked about love being a verb and how every single day we have to say [to our spouse] "today it is about you". Everyday! How can I actually put that into action when I know that my selfishness might come out too?

In Andy's specific words "Falling in love is about having a pulse; staying in love is about having a plan. Falling in love involves attraction, staying in love involves action."

A plan of how your going to show love to your spouse and what you're going to do when you aren't feeling so loving and actions to back up the love. Things I want to remember and start working on even now.

Yes, marriage is hard (I think most people would agree to that) but we obviously believe it can work and be great or we wouldn't keep striving and hoping for it.

2 comments:

Karyn said...

Word of wisdom from a early 90's staple: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhzCrNd1zOA

Becky said...

Hey Carmen-

Good post! I'd be interested in listening to that sermon. I like Andy Stanley. Do you have it on CD? Or is it online at all?