Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Running and Beer

August has been quite the 'off month' when it comes to exercising (OK, let's face it, July too) . It's been depressing because I see what I've worked so hard for, slipping away at break neck speeds. Yesterday I committed to myself that I WOULD work out no matter what. So when a friend IM'd me at around 8:30 a.m. to see if I wanted to run the local Jack Quinn's Tuesday night 5K. I said 'yes'. God knew I might possibly back out of my commitment to work out but if someone was expecting me, I would do it.

I knew this run would be nothing to write about (let's just say this is only the 3rd time I have exercised all month) so that's not what I m writing about.

This was my first run with this group and I was blown away by how many people where there to run. I think we got passed by like 45. But what completely floored me is the packed out bar when we got back, of people who had just run 3.1 miles and were downing beer like it was water.

I don't get it. But whatever.

I will be going back to run again (there are several ways I can improve from last night's run). After 10 runs I get a white running T-shirt. Many people wore theirs on their run last night. They might have regretted that at the end when we were hit with a down pour. Colorado weather?

Yet another thing I don't get it. But whatever.

2 comments:

Amber said...

I've never understood the appeal of beer and heavy Irish food after running either.

Becky said...

I've wanted to try that run for a long time but never actually followed through.

Good for you, girl!