Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Be An Advocate

Advocate: a person who speaks or writes in support or defence of a a person or cause, a person who pleads for or on behalf of another, a person who pleads the cause of another...

There are times where we have to stand up for something and advocate for it (or against in some cases). For me that has been by being an advocate for Compassion International.

This past weekend Compassion hosted a conference for advocates and 400 of the 2500 advocates for Compassion were there. It was an amazing time of worship, building relationships, getting equipped for the task before us (advocating on behalf of children in poverty) and food. Okay, I know the food one is very superficial but I can tell you it was some pretty amazing food and I ate way too much of it.

The conference wore me out and lit me on fire. It was intense emotionally and jam packed with break out sessions and large group sessions and eating...I needed to take a nap when it was over. I left the conference not just spent but excited. I was thinking about all the ways I can try to raise money and get sponsors for Compassion. Stay tuned...

I got to thinking about how advocacy brings people together. There were several people who had been on my Tanzania trip at the conference so it was a little reunion but I also bonded so quickly with people I had never met before. Advocacy did that. Standing up for something we believe in and against poverty has done that.

Let me also tell you that Compassion has some amazing advocates who inspired me this weekend. If you don't want to be an advocate for Compassion, choose something else but being an advocate helps give some purpose to life (so choose something that will make a difference and see how God can use you).

If you do want to be an advocate for Compassion...let me know.

No comments: