Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Withdrawn Symptoms

I think I can safely say I know what addicts feel like when they go 'off' their drug, be it even caffeine. My drug of choice is food and specifically sweets, aka sugar. Yesterday was my first day (possibly ever) eating no sugar and I felt like crap (can I say that word here). I wasn't shaking but my head hurt all day, I had trouble putting my thoughts into words and focusing on my tasks was very difficult. I think eventually eliminating sugar is supposed to make me feel better but day 1 was not good and day 2 has started off with a head ache too.

So, what can I eat you ask (or just one of you asked)...let me tell you what I have eaten in the last 24 hours.

Yesterday Breakfast: 2 eggs, 4 pieces turkey bacon
Snack: handful of almonds
Lunch: chicken breast, black beans and salsa
Snack: homemade hummus and celery sticks (I think next time I'll buy hummus mine was gross)
Dinner: Turkey burger and sauteed onions, spinach and mushrooms (fried in coconut oil)

Today breakfast: A berry smoothie (1 scoop whey protein powder, 1 cup coconut milk, 1 cup frozen berries, 1 tsp almond butter)

Berries and apples are the only fruits I'm supposed to have.

Weight Today: 229

Bad Food Choices: Homemade hummus...it was chunky

Good Food Choices: Everything so far has been 'on plan'.

Activity: I did no activity yesterday...I hope to today but feeling this way just makes me want to sleep.

Emotional Step: It was my turn to share my story last night at Bible study. I told them all the good stuff and then I felt that I needed to tell them about my struggles too. I wanted to be real and I wanted to be transparent. I told them I have struggled with my weight my whole life and that since college I have petty much been on some kind of diet or eating plan at all times. I told them that I associate my weigh with my lack of boyfriend. I shared with them my experience trying to join a long term mission agency where weight seemed to become the reason I wasn't being chosen. I told them what God has taught me through these experiences and it felt so good to just talk about it. They prayed for me that I would have victory over this part of my life. Victory could mean that I finally lose weight and change my lifestyle to maintain it or victory could mean God brings me to a place of loving myself where I am. I felt fresh and ready to conquer the world after all of that...huge emotional win last night.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Wooohooo!!!! Great job! Your menu sounds very much like ours. So excited for you!

In a week from now you will probably feel better than you've felt in ages! That sugar is just so bad for us.

So cool that you have such a safe Bible Study to be part of. I'm proud of you for stepping out in faith and sharing.

Question...what is surging?

Becky said...

Carmen, way to go! Seriously this is such a big step.

I can tell you from personal experience that cutting out sugar WILL be worth it. It was hard at first, but you soon stop craving it and feel tons better.

I'm really proud of you for doing this and for sharing it. Stay strong, girl!!

Sarah said...

I love reading about your journey Carmen! Keep up the good work. It will get easier.
I used to not eat any (or at least very little) sugar, and it felt great. Then I got pregnant and my ability to resist it went out the window. I don't eat a lot of sweets, but I definitely need to get back to not eating it at all. Thanks for reminding me to get back on track!