Friday, March 25, 2011

Engagements, Engagements, & Weddings Oh My

I'm fairly content to be single, most days, usually. I have ALWAYS believed that God's plan for my life is the ultimate plan and I do not need to worry what I'll eat or drink or who I'll marry or if I'll marry. I trust Him completely in every area of my life but I can't help thinking that I don't always understand Him.

IF God brings marriage to my life at some point I have pretty high expectations for what that will look like. Not necessarily what the guy will look like (although I assume he'll be gorgeous in my eyes) but what our relationship will look like. I'm not willing to settle for someone who's not completely 100% sold out to following Jesus and bringing others along on the way. There's some other things I'm hoping for but that's the biggie. I also don't want to end up stuck in a relationship I wish I could get out of or divorced (not sure which of those I like least). I feel for some of my friends who are in either of those situations and it does make me thankful not to be.

However as much as I trust God and as much as I will serve Him fully even if he does not bring marriage...my heart aches a little at seeing others find the love of their lives. I have friends who won't even attend someone's wedding or congratulate someone on an engagement because of how much it hurts their heart, so that's how I can gage that my hurt is very, very little. One of the things that usually keeps it all in perspective for me is thinking about some of my amazing friends who remain single and faithful to follow God's plan in their lives and the fact that a lot of them are older and wiser than I. I'm also very happy for friends who have waited patiently and God has provided in this area.

In general, my 'singleness' discussions usually happen in the privacy of my quiet time with God (or with trusted and loving friends) but attending 2 weddings in 2 weeks and hearing of 4 new engagements this week has got me thinking on this subject more. It's got me praying on the subject more too, that God continuously reminds me that His plans are perfect and He loves me more than any husband ever will, and He wants my heart fully committed to Him not wishing for something else.

For those of you who check into my blog who are single...I pray your heart knows these things too and for those of you who are married (happily or otherwise) I pray you continue finding your value in God and His plans rather than looking for it in your spouse.

1 comment:

Speaky1013 said...

Carmen, very insightful...thank you for sharing your heart. I definitely share your thoughts and feelings on singleness. We need to talk more about this! It's been on my heart a lot lately too!

Love you, girl!