Monday, February 6, 2012

Embarrassed by Inexperience

There's a lovely woman in my small group who was challenged to go on a specific number of dates in a year (to match her age) and often the dating challenge becomes part of the chit chat at our small group (the rest of those attending are all married).  Talk ranges from who she's dating, to what they did on a date, to suggestions on future men to schedule a date with.  It's usually a fun topic to discuss and since the couples in our group still remember what it was like to be single they often have their own fun stories to share. 

I've never been one to ask my friends to set me up on dates, just figured if they know someone they think I'd hit it off with, the'll bring it up.  And while I don't necessarily make myself as available to the situations that might get myself dates, I don't close myself off to it either.  But the fact still remains that I've never been on a "real" date.  I've asked a guy to come do something with me (in high school) and done group things with people and looking back I may have actually been asked out before but the way the guy phrased it didn't really make that clear and I opted not to join him in what he was requesting. 

Normally, I am actually kind of proud not to be the type of girl that doesn't take dating seriously.  I've been proud that I don't have baggage that others have.  I've been proud that I don't have regrets about things I have done in my past.  I've been proud that someday there is a possibilityy of my husband being the first man I dated and the first man I kissed an on and on. 

But a few weeks ago (I think for the first time) I was embarrassed by my lack of dating experience and did not want to admit the number of dates I had been on (zero) to this room full of people I truly trust and value.   What happened to the pride of no regret and no baggage?  Missing out on dating has saved me from a lot of drama, but missing out on dating means I've also missed out on some opportunities to learn and grow and be more ready for the man I'll one day marry.  Embarrassement and pride aside, it really comes down to trust, I have to trust that God is still writing a beautiful love story for me. I know there may still come times where I will be embarrassed to admit my lack of dates but I hope there will still be times when I'm proud of protecting and saving my heart.

No comments: