Monday, February 20, 2012

I Lack for Nothing

Today as I was reading Psalm 23, a Psalm I have read more times than I can count, a Psalm that is basically memorized and not on purpose...my heart grabbed on to verse one.  In the TNIV Bible I was reading from it says "The Lord is my Shepherd, I lack nothing."  Today the part of that verse that gripped my heart was the "I lack nothing" part. 

If I really believed that I lacked nothing wouldn't I stop expecting God to give me all the things I want?  I would probably never tell you that I expect to eventually be married and become a mother, I expect to at some point conquer my weight issues and be happy with my whole self, I expect to be successful and achieve great things in my job, I expect to be a leader at my church.  I would never tell you that I expect those things, but the truth is...deep in my heart where you can't see, I do expect them. 

If I really believed that "I lack nothing" why do I still expect things that God has never promised and why am I sad at the thought of never having some of them?  The issue is not my singleness, healthy lifestyle failures, trust issues at work or taking on too much at church.  The issues is my faith in God and my truly believing that He is my Shepherd and I lack for nothing.  I've posted this verse at my desk this morning and I'm going to do my best to stop my expectations from over powering my faith...obviously with lots of assistance from the Shepard himself.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Good thoughts Carmen; thanks for sharing. This is in line with some things I've been thinking about lately too.