Thursday, May 31, 2012

Book 9

Some friends of mine found out early in their pregnancy (with baby 4) that this baby was going to be different than the others and they blogged about their journey here.  They have inspired many through this journey and it's only the beginning.  They wrote a post about a book and I decided to read the book as well.  Just like my friends, I think this author has probably inspired quite a number of people.  I couldn't sleep last night so I was able to finish the book:

Double Take:  A Memoir
By:  Kevin Michael Connolly



Despite the difficult circumstances the author, Kevin, faced in his life (a big one being born without legs) he lived, he loved, he traveled and I'm guessing he inspired those around him to do the same.  As the sun started to light the sky outside of my east facing bedroom window this morning, I read the part that inspired me to read the book in the first place as it was shared in my friends' post:

"...I don't think of myself as 'disabled.' As I interpret the word, you are only disabled if you are
incapable of overcoming the challenges presented in any given situation. I might be disabled
when trying to haul a hundred pounds of concrete up a flight of stairs, but to my mind, I'm perfectly
able-bodied when I am skating around New York City. Being disabled is also a matter of choice.
Anything that you try to hide from the world also imposes a limit on you. If you don't want to risk
showing off your wobbly knees or clumsiness on the dance floor and decide to sit on the sidelines,
then you are unable to dance, thus, disabled."

Kevin's memoir is a quick read and worth it!




No comments: