Sunday, December 7, 2008

Because Eight Months Ago I Could Only Run One Minute

And today I ran for 30 minutes straight (at my pace it was a little over 2 miles).

I should probably start this post by letting you know I will likely often write about my journey to health, which includes fitness, nutrition, weight loss, rest...to name a few. I've always wanted to 'get healthy' and be able to keep up with my friends and this past April I finally made the decision. It's a HUGE part of my life right now and hopefully forever. The decision in April came about because I found out that I have Polycystic Ovary Syndrome and without going into all the details the scariest part for me was that it gives me a greater chance of diabetes and heart disease (and various other things). About 1 in 10 women have this and there's no cure...the best way to manage it is by losing weight (if you are obese) and through diet and excercise.

Anyway, I've worked my butt off the last 8 months (literally) and daily I'm more and more amazed at what my body can do. I knew I needed a lot of accountability on the fitness side of things so I got a personal trainer. Why did I wait so long to get healthy? So back to today...I ran for 30 minutes! Straight, without stopping. I think I could have kept going too but when I hit 30 I got so excited and loss focus and had to stop. It's the longest I've run so far. Ultimately I'd like to be able to run a 5K...slowly but surely I'll get there.

I'll share some before and after photos later. I'm waiting for another big milestone soon to come...so you'll have to wait.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Congrats! I am so excited for you! Looking forward to the next milestone and the pics! :)

Becky said...

Yeah, Carmen! That's GREAT!!! Way to go!

*carrie* said...

Carmen,

Good job for running--and for starting a blog!