Friday, January 23, 2009

Because you don't really need a reason for cake

But today there was one. Today marked my official Compassion anniversary. I have worked at Compassion know for 6 years. It's actually been a little longer but my time as an On-Call Worker does not count towards my official anniversary. I honestly wouldn't be able to tell you my exact first official day working at Compassion but I put it on my outlook calendar to remind myself (as a reoccurring event).

To my wonderful surprise my team wowed me this year. I say surprise because we don't actually celebrate anniversaries usually (now if it was my birthday I probably would have been expecting something). Today was an exception. At our team lunch to celebrate the Regional HR Directors my boss said some super nice things about me and presented me with a gift, a card (that my whole team had signed...good thing Compassion Store now sells greeting cards) and a cake. I didn't know what to say and actually had I tried to talk at that point I probably would have gotten emotional.

I LOVE working at Compassion. It is a blessing that the Lord called me here and I get to work in a way that millions of children around the world are blessed with opportunities and hope through Jesus Christ. My co-workers are truly a blessing and they made me feel very special today.

With my cake...it was very good.



My boss, Luis (and Dawit got in the picture too).


This is me with the other Carmen H. on my team. We worked specifically together for about a year and a half and I'm grateful for everything I learned from her!
I will miss her when she leaves Compassion.

And here are the Regional HR Directors (and Dawit representing John Q) right before we played laser tag. This week has been full of fun times with them. We had some great opportunities to talk through projects and procedures and to discuss initiatives for the next year. However, I feel the best part that came out of our Forum with them is that we had so much fun together!! Yet, again, more people that make working at Compassion such a blessing.

In case you are wondering the red team beat the blue team (I was blue team) but only because Dawit (also blue team) kept shooting blue team members. I guess we forgot to tell him he should be shooting the red team...

Kingston, Dawit, myself, MJ, Robert, Luis, & David


3 comments:

*carrie* said...

SIX years?! That's amazing, Carmen!

Thank you so much for your sweet comments--glad we were able to see each other recently!

Becky said...

Happy anniversary, Carmen! Congratulations!

And what? Carmen H (the other one) is leaving???

Carmen said...

Eventually...her husband has been retired for a couple years now and she's getting ready to join him.