Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Because 'Real Food' means not packaged

I'm on 'Week 3' of the 9 for 2009 program. A quick update: 1. I've lost a little weight but I'm not sure I'll make my 18 pound goal at the rate I'm going. 2. I am going to go run with a local women's running club this Saturday to help me continue to get ready for the 5K. On a related note a wonderful co-worker of mine gave me her heart rate monitor. Last night was my first time using it, but I totally love it. I think the heart rate monitor will revolutionize my workouts (at least that's what I'm hoping for)

Anyway, the book we are supposed to read is good, although I've learned most of this stuff in other books in the past. I'm finding that the best foods for you are those that do not come in a package. One statement in the book just confirmed that for me. The author was talking about nutritionism (a word the author made up I think) and the fact that cucumbers, carrots, apples and broccoli do not come with nutrition labels on them while packaged foods tell you up and down the package that their food actually has the nutrition in it.



Case in point: my cereal box has all sorts of nutrition info on it...my grapefruit does not.

2 comments:

Becky said...

Hey Carmen-

What 5K are you doing? I would like to do one ...

Great post, by the way!

Becky

Carmen said...

Thanks Becky!

There are two races I'm looking at. Not sure which one I'll be ready for or maybe I'll try to do both. One is on March 14 (a St. Patrick's Day run down Tejon). The other is on April 11. It's called the Tortoise & Hare and measures your handicap based on age, sex, high, and weight. The biggest handicaps start the race...looks interesting.