Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Because God Created Them

Another installment of "I love Tanzania" here...

The key ministry of Compassion is child development through sponsorship in which we partner with a local churches who carry out our programs. While on my sponsor tour in Tanzania I was able to visit 5 of these child development projects. I was so impressed with each and every one of them I couldn't believe the amazing things I was seeing.

Each project I visited had an individual book on each child recording various educational, health and social information including copies of every letter the child had written to their sponsor. Another impressive aspect of each project is the way the project partnered with the pastor and church. The pastor was proud of the work the Compassion project was doing and was excited to share in the success that the church and Compassion together were having in the community.

At each project we'd hear testimonies from sponsored children and parents of what being part of Compassion meant to them. It was such a wonderful experience to hear the joy and hope in their stories and to know that being a sponsor means I get to help give that joy and hope to my sponsored children.

Probably the hardest part of each project visit and yet my favorite part were the home visits we went on. That deserves it's own post...so I'll talk about it later.

Each of the project workers we met were passionate about their jobs, gentle and caring as they talked about specific children in their project and dedicated to the work the Lord had called them to. It was inspiring to me as there are definitely days where I don't feel the passion and dedication that I want to. When I hit those days...Tanzania project workers will be on my mind.

Here's a few of my favorite pics from the projects I visited.

No comments: