Friday, March 20, 2009

Because I'm Not Who I Want to Be

It's only 8:00 a.m. and I've been reminded several times today that I'm not who I want to be (yet).

Sadly my quiet times have been sparse lately...until this week. I've been struggling on several fronts and I knew the ONLY thing that would make a difference was spending time with the Lord. So every morning this week, during breakfast, instead of turning on the news (so depressing anyway) I opened my Bible. The Lord met me there at the breakfast table and my heart has been overflowing.

This morning I opened up to Colossians. I've actually read Colossians 3:17 everyday this week...I NEEDED that reminder that everything I do is for the Lord. In fact a friend shared it with me Monday at small group and I've meditated on it everyday since. Well this morning I decided to broaden my look in Colossians and started reading at 3:1. When I got to verses 12-14...I had to read them several time and let them wash over me. I feel so many of my struggles right now revolve around not following God's directions for his 'chosen people'.

Colossians 3:12-14 "Therefore as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. FORGIVE as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity."

I'm not there right now. So many people I interact with on a daily basis don't seem to be there right now and I prayed and prayed this morning that God would get us there.

Then on my way to work I popped in Switchfoot. 'This is Your Life' is song 2 on the CD and the chorus chimes over and over are you who you want to be.

My heart cried out 'no'. The good part is that even though I don't exemplify the characteristics of God's chosen people (all the time) and even though I am not who I want to be...I'm still chosen and God loves me. He loves me with a sacrificial, Agape love that I don't understand all the time but I am forever, forever grateful for.

The Lord has met me this week. I didn't expect any different but before this week I was not doing my part. I think I'll continue to have breakfast with Him next week...the time with Him was precious.

Happy Friday! Are you who you want to be?

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Hi Carmen! I'm glad I found your blog. Hope you are doing well. I've enjoyed your posts!
Amanda

*carrie* said...

Carmen,

That's the passage we had read at our wedding--it's definitely a favorite of mine. Thanks for the reminder! With all we have going on right now, it's easy to get caught up in all the details, and I need to remember to "lift my eyes and heart."