Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Ash Wednesday: Mercy

I wasn't raised in a church that put a high priority on Ash Wednesday or Lent.  I had a teacher in high school (who attended a Catholic school) give up something every year and that was the first time I was really exposed to "giving something up" for Lent.  I've given up things before and there are people I interact with daily who have chosen to give things up this year but I wonder if we give something up for how it prepares us for Easter or to see how much discipline we have? 

I see Lent as a way to prepare my heart for Christ's sacrifice on the cross.  I understand why people give something up (penance & self-denial) but that is really only one aspect of preparing our hearts for Easter.  So, the question I asked myself this year was what will best prepare my heart?  Spending time with Jesus and getting to know Him better is what came to mind.  Instead of cutting something out this year (which rarely actually prepares my heart) I'm going to add something in.  Each day of Lent I plan to focus on one characteristic of Jesus.  Pray over it, read verses about it, investigate whether my life reflects it.  No set format. Each day might look different. Some mornings I might have an hour and some I might have 10 minutes. But come Holy Week and Good Friday I hope I have had some incredible time with Jesus and that I've gotten to know my Savior more.

Today, I chose mercy because as I was journaling about Ash Wednesday this morning I was struck (as I often am when I consider Jesus' sacrifice) at how undeserving I am of what He's done for me.  I've always been undeserving.  I'll always be undeserving.  Instead of giving me what my sins deserve, Jesus is merciful. 

For today's medication I read my Bible and there are some great verses on mercy:

"But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy.  He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that, having been justified by his grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life."  Titus 3:4-7

"Let the wicked forsake his way and the evil man his thoughts.  Let him turn to the Lord, and he will have mercy on him, and to our God, for he will freely pardon."  Isaiah 55:7

"But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions it is by grace you have been saved."  Ephesians 2:4-5

"He who conceals his sins does not prosper, but whoever confesses and renounces them finds mercy."  Proverbs 28:13

And one of my favorites:

"He has showed you, O man, what is good.  and what does the Lord require of you?  To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God."  Micah 6:8

What are some of your favorite characteristics of Jesus?  

Here's to preparing our hearts for Easter. 

No comments: