Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Books 1, 2, 3 & 4

I'm not a ferocious reader (at least not like some other friends I have) but I like to read.  I prefer to read the book before I see the movie and sometimes I have already read the book and loved it before it ever became a movie, and sometimes I just wish it would become a movie.  I thought it might be nice to track my reading for 2012 (borrowed from other blogs I read).  Provided I actually want to tell people what I have read...but hopefully that will be fine.

Book 1:  Hunger Games Series:  Mocking Jay
by Suzanne Collins



I started 2012 with about 30 pages left in book two of the Hunger Games Series (Catching Fire) and jumped right on in to book three (Mocking Jay) which makes it officially book one of 2012.  I loved book one in the Hunger Games Series so much better than two and three but I had to finish the series and I hope the movie does book one some justice...we'll find out very soon.  I like Suzanne's style and I enjoyed the triangular love story but I have to say the main character didn't always deserve to have two guys fighting for her affections...she was ridiculously out of touch with her feelings.  The whole concept of a reality TV show where people are killing each other and the last one standing wins...unfortunately doesn't seem like such a far fetched possibility in our world someday.


Book 2:  Heaven is For Real
by Todd Burpo



I bought this book on Black Friday for 50% off.  I have heard so many people talk about reading it and I knew eventually I wanted to.  It was a quick read.  I liked the family stories, the background history and everything that made them feel like a real family.  I liked that they are Midwestern small town people and could relate to that.  Some people wonder about the validity of this kind of thing.  I think the author does a good job or providing his own skepticism and then how he overcame that.  I passed the book on to my aunt who just had surgery and needs to lay around and read while she recovers.  Interestingly a good friend's son is currently going through the same illness as this little boy.  I haven't mentioned it to her though since this little boy visited Heaven during one of his surgeries.

Book 3:  Just a Minute
by Wess Stafford

This book was written by the president of the organization I work for...and a copy was given to each employee.  I didn't want to end up in conversations with other employees where they were sharing about certain parts of the president's book and I had nothing to share.  Thankfully Wess is an amazing story teller and the book was great.  I love the concept of the book...in "just a minute" we have the power to say something positive or negative that affects a child's life forever.  Many of the stories that Wess shared were about famous people and some were about employees that I know. The bottom line is that children are precious (all children) and each of us can make or break them in as little as a minute of our time.  I choose to make, not break the children I have the privledge to com into contact with...

Book 4:  A Stole Life
by Jaycee Dugard



I will admit, when the news of Jaycee Dugard being rescued broke, I was intrigued.  I knew nothing of her actual abduction (that I remember) since we are the same age but to find out that she had been in captivity for 18 years and given birth to two children (fathered by her abducter)...was so shocking.  I made a point of reading the People Magazine story about her and when there was a special on TV after her book came out I rearranged my schedule so I could watch it.  I never intended to read the book but I was perusing the "new" section at the library and there it was and my curiosity was peaked again.  Obviously this book is a huge contrast from the one I had finished before it and my heart broke over and over for this precious little girl and the sick, sick man who held her captive for 18 years.  My social work background tells me that the sick man's wife was also captive to her husband's manipulation and abuse and couldn't have done much to protect Jaycee if she wanted to but the human, compassionate side of me says she should have risked her own life to protect Jaycee.  I wish I didn't know the things this man had done but I'm so thankful the ending includes a rescue and a chance for Jaycee to have freedom. 

So, there you have the first four books of 2012.  I read a lot of books at the same time and have already started two others...just wait.

 

No comments: