Sunday, March 18, 2012

Book 5

Book 5:  The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
by:  Stieg Larsson


I've seen this book (and the movies) talked about so many different places over the past few years but nothing really interested me till the 2011 version of the movie was listed on every "Top 10 Movies of 2011" list.  I received some mixed feedback on the Swedish version of the movies, so decided to start with the book?  The beginning of the book was a little bit slow but it picked up quickly and I was extremely intrigued.  There are definitely some dark things that happen within several of the story lines but I so much appreciated how the writer did not describe things in detail.  He told just enough so I knew what happened but not too much so stuff was stuck in my head (not sure if I'd feel the same way about a movie version).  There are tons of characters in the book but I didn't get lost (to spite some strange names that I couldn't pronounce and just had to sort of skim over-that goes for cities and towns and street names too).  I guess the other part about the "dark spaces" that kept me going was the hope for some redemption.  The stories in this book are not completely fake, well, they might be for the author but so many women and men live them all the time, I guess that's what drove me to keep reading when a certain story line hit something harsh.  I'm glad I read this book and I do think I'd like to read the next book too (I think there might be 3 total) but I haven't decided if I want to watch any of the movies yet.


No comments: