Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Book 6: Through My Eyes

Book 6:  Through My Eyes
By:  Tim Tebow with Nathan Whitaker


I don't really watch any sports on TV but Facebook has helped me keep up on the hype over Tim Tebow the last two years and I did finally watch Denver's final game of the season this year (which wasn't really one they played well).  I've grown to like Tim Tebow's determination to live out his faith and ever since my 2011 summer vacation in Florida, I've been curious about his book.  Tim happened to be on a book signing tour in Florida while we were vacationing there so the morning paper had a big article on him.  All that to say, my friend Melissa loaned me the book.  Overall, I'm glad I read the book but for someone who doesn't really care that much about sports, the play by play by play by play of EVERY football game he's ever played in was too much for me.  I did appreciate seeing "through his eyes" how various experiences (on and off the field) have helped shape him into the man of God that he is (including many influences from his parents and coaches).  Athletically speaking he is talented, but after reading his book I'd say he also worked very hard to get to where he is.

I did quote his book to a small group I was leading to help encourage them to tell their story.  No one likes to talk about themselves and everyone is sure they can't do as good a job as the person before them and I read them this quote from the foreword of Tim's book:

"Here's something else that I haven't always grasped but which in the last few years
I have come to understand in my own life, and which now burns in my heart for others
to also recognize and realize: we all have stories to share.  We all have life experiences
that can bless the lives of others.  Whoever we are.  Wherever we find ourselves. 
Whatever we are involved in, no matter our age or station in life. 
Stories that, when shared with others, can make a positive difference in the world."
I was also encouraged by a specific thought Tim had near the end of his book.  My team at work has been going through transition and it occurred to me that how we reacted and dealt with the changes as a team could really influence the rest of the organization (good or bad) and Tim helped me see that:
"Sometimes, people see more of your witness when you're facing adversity
than when everything is going your way. People expect you to be a good winner,
but they know how agonizing it is to lose. When you are able to reflect God's light during
those times of great disappointment, it can have quite an impact."
I'd recommend the book, to spite the rehash of every football game, and I'll continue being a Tim Tebow fan even though he's not playing for Denver this season.  I did find myself wanting to tell him about Compassion because it aligns very well to some of his own beliefs and passions.


1 comment:

Speaky1013 said...

Carmen, thanks for sharing his thoughts...I'd like to flip through this book. Maybe a night soon at Barnes and Noble - wish we could just meet there! :)

Love you!
Mandi